South Africa: Vehicles Burn in Renewed “Student Riots”

The city center of Johannesburg, South Africa, has once again been rocked by a renewed outburst of violence with a bus and a police vehicle being torched by hordes of rioting African “students” demanding the “decolonization” of their curricula and the abolition of all tuition fees.

In Cape Town, at least four vehicles have been torched at the University of Cape Town, where one of the African “student” leaders has been arrested for damaging property.

According to the News24 news service, fire fighters attending to the burning bus and police vehicle in Braamfontein at the University of the Witwatersand campus, were forced to withdraw after the Africans started stoning them while they were trying to put out the fires.

The Africans had earlier set up roadblocks on the main road, Jan Smuts Avenue, next to the university, and stoned passing vehicles which were forced to slow down because of the blockade.

At the University of Cape Town, two African “student” leaders were arrested, including one who had been detained for the third time since the start of the protests, while several cars were torched o the campus.

Police also fired stun grenades near campus buildings in Woodstock and Mowbray on Monday afternoon, as “students” attempted to take part in a planned march to the parliament building in Cape Town city center.

The violence has also spread to the Cape Peninsula University of Technology campus in Bellville, where a number of vehicles were also torched.

At Rhodes University, located in the Eastern Cape province town of Grahamstown, police fired rubber bullets and teargas after African “students” protested violently against new anti-cheating procedures put in place for examinations.

According to an email sent to students, the new rules will be "strictly enforced" and include students being instructed to report to examination venues on time, with photo IDs. Pockets would have to be emptied and students would be patted down before being allowed entry.

Furthermore, the rules said, nothing other than a plastic sleeve could be brought into the venue and no one would be allowed to exit early as the venues would be "locked down.” Venues would also be under CCTV surveillance.

The steps have become necessary after it became clear that almost all the Africans were cheating during the examinations, using cell phones, Bluetooth enabled devices, and even small laptops to help cheat in the exams.

The measures provoked a full day of riots, which included barricades being erected on campus roads, and police firing teargas and stun grenades.

In the wake of the violence, the universities of Cape Town, Witwatersrand, the Cape Peninsula University of Technology, and the University of the Western Cape have once again been forced to close down completely, after only being open a few days following an earlier shutdown.

The University of the Limpopo in the north of South Africa issued a statement last week saying that its “decision to suspend classes has helped the institution avert costly destruction of infrastructure.”